What is a B Corporation?
We compile a whole wealth of information about B Corp Certification from BCorporation.net
Certified B Corporations are a businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose.
B Corps are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to use business as a force for good and redefine success in business, building a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
There are currently nearly 4000 B Corporations worldwide spanning 150 industries and 75 countries, all with one unifying goal of using Business as a force for good.
People want to work for, buy from, and invest in businesses they believe in. B Corp Certification is the most powerful way to build credibility, trust, and value for your business.
Building a better economy, that puts steakeholder interest over profit.
How do you become a B Corp?
The first steps are completing the free online B Impact Assessment.
- This Assessment will walk you through a series of questions to help you learn what it takes to build a better business — better for your workers, community, and the environment.
- Compare your answers to thousands of other businesses and see how you stack up.
- Quick Snapshot — A simple look at which questions your company already excels at and which practices it could improve on
- B Impact Report — A more holistic look at how your company scores across multiple questions related to the same impact topic
- Achieve a score over 80 and you then are eligable to become a B Corporation.
- Sign the B Corp Agreement and amend your legal framework to meet the B CORP DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE
Why become a B Corp?
Certifying as a B Corporation goes beyond product or service-level certification. B Corp Certification is the only certification that measures a company’s entire social and environmental performance. The B Impact Assessment evaluates how your company’s operations and business model impact your workers, community, environment, and customers. From your supply chain and input materials to your charitable giving and employee benefits, B Corp Certification proves your business is meeting the highest standards of verified performance.
Certified B Corporations achieve a minimum verified score on the B Impact Assessment — a rigorous assessment of a company’s impact on its workers, customers, community, and environment — and make their B Impact Report transparent on bcorporation.net. Certified B Corporations also amend their legal governing documents to require their board of directors to balance profit and purpose.
Positive impact is supported by transparency and accountability requirements. B Corp Certification doesn’t just prove where your company excels now — it commits you to consider stakeholder impact for the long term by building it into your company’s legal structure.
The combination of third-party validation, public transparency, and legal accountability help Certified B Corps build trust and add value to their business. B Corp Certification is administered by the non-profit B Lab.